I really, really want to move off of Livejournal. Here's my vision:
- My friends make Dreamwidth accounts and post there instead, set to crosspost to LJ.
- Eventually everyone's posts are on both sites.
- Then we stop using LJ, since everyone is on DW as well.
(Why do I want to stop using LJ? Well, I don't want my private journal posts going over plain HTTP instead of HTTPS, where anyone in the café, ISP, and massive government surveillance apparatus can read them; Livejournal feels like it could die at any time and take the community with it; Livejournal's owners are sketchy and tight-lipped and I don't know who is being given access to my journal.)
So would you consider making a DW account?
- Sign up for a free account
- Set up crossposting to LJ
- Optional: Create access filters that match the names of your LJ access filters (otherwise cross-posts will just be friends-locked)
- Post so that people know your new account name!
I'm "timmc" on Dreamwidth. Friend me and let me know who you are!
DW is still rolling out TLS, so the crosspost link is still HTTP -- but for people using the HTTPS Everywhere browser extension, you'll be redirected to HTTPS when you click it.