I'm thinking of hosting an afternoon or evening event where people bring crafts they've been meaning to work on or items they've been meaning to repair. For instance, I have some pants to patch, a wooden tortilla press to build, and a chair whose seat needs re-caning. By holding an event, I'd like to arrange for three things:
- If I bring together people who like building/repairing things, they will be able to pool knowledge and tools to mutually support each other's projects.
- There would be social pressure to actually get shit done instead of getting distracted by YouTube and the like. (There's no TV in our living room, and I would ask people not to use their pocket TVs either.)
- An excuse to have relaxed social time with friends.
So, this post is to gauge interest and work out scheduling. Here are some prompts; answer as many or as few as make sense to you.
- Would this be of interest to you? (What about some variation that you think would be better?)
- What are your scheduling preferences? (Weeknight, weekend morning/afternoon/evening.)
- What sorts of projects would you like to bring? What sorts would you like to help with?
- Are there any tools you would need that you don't have? Are there any tools you could bring that someone else might need?
This would be in the 2nd floor living room at our house in lower Allston. We also have a basement work area, complete with bandsaw of unknown usefulness and a random assortment of hand tools.
I'm also sending this out as an email, but I actually don't know either the LJ/DW names or the email addresses of many of my friends and acquaintances! So I've almost certainly left out some folks by accident -- if you know a friend who didn't get this and really should, feel free to pass it along!